Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I am not U

I wanted to talk about one of my pet peeves. "U" in place of "you," and other such abbreviations that started because of texting. If someone is actually texting from a cell phone where he doesn't have a full keyboard, then I'll be more understanding. Otherwise, I don't have much tolerance for it. There's no reason for it, and I find it to be the visual equivalent of nails on a chalkboard. "C" in place of "see," "Y" in place of "why," "N" in place of "and" -- oh, yeah, by the way, what's with all the people all of a sudden who think "an" is how "and" is spelled? I weep for our children's future...

I guess I'm all right, actually, with "K" in place of "okay." That one's kind of "cute." I think I get more bugged when someone's addressing ME as "U" -- ugh.

Don't get me started on internet abbreviations. Some, I guess, have become "standard" now, but "standard" seems to be a reflection of one's age and how long one has been using the internet. My sister stumped me the other day with "LYLAS." Since I've seen her wearing a "WWJD" bracelet on occasion ("What Would Jesus Do?")


I thought maybe the last three letters of LYLAS stood for "Lord and Savior." But no -- when I finally asked her she told me it stood for: "Love You Like A Sister." But... I AM her sister. I'm confused.

Guess the bottom line is, I prefer proper English when written or typed. Texting I'll tolerate on a case-by-case basis. Some abbreviations are all right. Just don't go crazy. And don't call me "U."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kids these days! And adults who act like kids, too. They all need a spanking.

In addition to the new shorthand, there's so much misspelling and incorrect usage. Don't they teach English in school any more?

Your's in gud speling and gramma.

OwwItHz

Ms. Cassandra (Sandy) Park said...

Thank you! I keep HOPING the kids really know how to spell, but are choosing not to.

Mark said...

I guess its good news then, that there appears to be a growing "txt" counter reformation movement afoot among the younger set, that demands proper English.

This crowd has only known of a world with email, texting and You Tube. Most likely they or their parents are no longer being billed for wireless air time minutes, which were greatly economized by brief bursts of 'txt' instead of more expensive voice calls.

This new crop is bravely and quietly intent on leading their elders back to the whole word promise land.

Damn! Just when I was begining to get a handle on txt speak. Figures.

dwcmike said...

I prefer correct spelling, but occasionally post pictures with words attached on the picture. These pictures many times have spelling mistakes, but I have yet to learn how to fix the grammar on the picture? Any advice? [Some people have excellent captions, but English is not there first language.]
Mike